Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Project Team: Gerard Caneba


I am pleased to introduce my chief collaborator on this project!  Gerard Caneba and I had not worked together before this study, but when I read an article about the use of supercritical carbon dioxide treatments to dry waterlogged archaeological artifacts, I started looking for someone at Michigan Tech than could help me understand that process. Gerry and I spoke and something in our discussions sparked his interest.



Dr. Caneba is a chemical engineer and is the director of Michigan Tech’s Center for Environmentally Benign Functional Materials.  His expertise includes both polymer composites and precipitation polymerization.  Dr. Caneba’s main research involves the process of free-radical retrograde-precipitation polymerization (FRRPP) and the use of these polymers in oil recovery and remediation, adhesive formulation, wood preservation, copper ore processing, silicone formulation, carbon nanotube/polymer composites, and many other applications.  He has published many research articles and recently two monographs with Springer Verlag: Free-Radical Retrograde-Precipitation Polymerization (FRRPP): Novel Concept, Processes, Materials, and Energy Aspects (Caneba 2010) and Emulsion Free-Radical Retrograde-Precipitation Polymerization (Caneba and Dar 2011).

Gerry and I have assembled a small team of undergraduate and graduate students at MTU to work on this project. Over the next few posts, the students will introduce themselves and I will continue to write updates on aspects of the background for our research project.

Want to connect with Gerry? Try LinkedIn, Pivot (Community of Science)

No comments:

Post a Comment